*TUESDAY 29 SEPTEMBER, 2020*
_It is advisable that you prayerfully and meditatively read the text first_
*SEPARATED UNTO GOD*
*TEXT:* LEVITICUS 20:22-27.
_*ðKEY VERSE* "And he shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine" (LEVITICUS 20:26)._
The strange marriage of Prophet Hosea to Gomer, the daughter of Diblaim, "a wife of whoredoms," is a symbolic illustration of God's marriage to Israel. The prophet was instructed to do so and to bear "children of whoredoms", because "the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD" (Hosea 1:2). The prophet was to experience firsthand the anguish of living with an unfaithful spouse - an experience God had been enduring due to Israel's infidelity in constantly turning to idol worship.
Our text emphasises the need for Israel to keep the statutes and judgments of the Lord. They were not to walk in the ways of the heathen. They were to make a difference between clean and unclean animals, and be holy because the God of Israel is holy. Anyone having familiar spirits or into wizardry should be put to death.
Today, the Church is a body of called out people who have been redeemed. Christ remains the Head of the Church, while the Church is the Body of Christ. Also, Christ is the Bridegroom and the Church, the Bride. The Bride, as a chaste virgin, is espoused unto the Lord - separated and holy to offer living, acceptable and reasonable service to Him. As Israel was chosen by God to be a "peculiar treasure", so the Church has been called to be "a chosen vessel unto [Christ], to bear [His] name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel" (Acts 9:15).
Israel failed God through idol worship and many unholy deeds, but the Church of the first century did not. They gave their all to God and paid the supreme price for the gospel. Present-day believers have the same mandate to take Christ to the world. We must not disappoint God.
*âTHOUGHT FOR THE DAY* FOLLOW THE GOOD PATH - BE FAITHFUL TO GOD.
*BIBLE IN ONE YEAR* ECCLESIASTES 8-12.
*MEDITATION* CHRISTIAN SEPARATION, A MUST
1. Total obedience (not selective) to the word of God will almost, without effort, produce separation and noncomformity to the world in all matters of living vv22,23, Romans 12:1,2. It is negligence or disobedience to biblical injunctions in some shape or form that keeps the believer in worldly practices and competition. It is also ungodly for modern Christians and preachers to be building bridges that will make Christians not distinct from the world.
2. Sincere separation from the world in heart and practice will attract abundant divine blessings, both earthly and eternal, vv23,24.
3. There cannot be true godlike holiness without commitment to abhorring unclean habits and clinging to clean heart and attitude, vv25,26.
4. True holiness and friendship or fellowship with people with familiar spirits are not reconcilable, vv26,27.
*Lord,* give me more hunger and thirst for holy livingð
*Let,* me never be satisfied with partial obedience but only totalð
*Father God,* give me power and grace to always separate from worldly practicesð
*Lord,* destroy the power and influence of worldliness in your churchð
*HYMN* TAKE TIME TO BE HOLY
1. Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word;
Make friends of God's children help those who are weak;
Forgetting in nothing, His blessing to seek.
2. Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret with Jesus alone-
By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.
3. Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;
And run not before Him, whatever betide;
In joy or sorrow still follow thy Lord,
And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His word.
4. Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul;
Each thought and each temper beneath His control:
Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.