*MONDAY 28 SEPTEMBER, 2020*
_It is advisable that you prayerfully and meditatively read the text first_
*BLESSINGS OF UNDERSTANDING GOD'S WORD*
*TEXT:* NEHEMIAH 8:9-18.
_*ðKEY VERSE* "And all the people went their way to eat, and to the drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them" (NEHEMIAH 8:12)._
Satan knows that understanding God's word leads to a good decision (most times), if one surrenders his life to Christ, which in turn determines his eternal destiny. Therefore, he attacks that understanding by taking the Word away through distractions, suggestions and so on. He also does a lot to paint true believers as hypocrites, non-conformists, fanatical or even outright criminals all in attempt to prevent people from hearing and receiving the gospel message.
The returnee Jewish exiles had been taught the Scriptures as Ezra the scribe read unto them from the Law of Moses in Jerusalem. Many who obviously were born in Babylon had never heard the Scriptures read. As the Word was read and explained, the people broke down in tears because they understood they had gone against God's law, but they were advised not to mourn, but celebrate, for it was a holy day. Further reading later revealed the necessity for keeping the feast of tabernacles which they duly observed.
The difference between light and darkness, freedom and bondage, is knowledge. Knowledge, rightly applied, brings about liberation. God was displeased because His people perished for lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6). Lack of proper knowledge has caused billions of people eternal damnation in hell fire. Inspired by Satan, many have followed the errors of false prophets. But God instructs all men to "buy the truth and sell it not" (Proverbs 23:23).
Because every man is a free moral agent, it is then the responsibility of each one to seek the truth, know it and appropriate it. Truth leads a man in the path of victory. The Bible is God's Book that reveals the truth to man; buy it, study it, obey it and you will be glad you did.
*âTHOUGHT FOR THE DAY* Understanding God's word is the real blessing.
*BIBLE IN ONE YEAR* ECCLESIASTES 4-7.
*MEDITATION* THE RIGHT ATTITUDE THAT GOD CHERISHES MOST
1. The Israelites just returned from captivity where they were chastised for their sins for 70 years! Yet they did not hold grudge against God. They accepted the divine rebuke and punishment and responded positively, v9, Hebrews 12:6,7.
2. They allowed the word of God to have deep impact in their lives to the point of affecting their hearts, emotions and actions v9. They were not superficial readers or listeners.
3. The source of their joy and happiness changed from earthly possessions and experiences to their ability to understand the word and message from God, v12.
*Q* What is the source of your daily joy and happiness?
4. They did not stop or "take a break" from fellowship, searching and studying the word of God, v13. It was a continuous exercise, Acts 17:11
5. Their good attitude and response to the word of God they heard the first day made God to reveal deeper things to them, vv14-15.
6. They were able to discover something amiss in their worship life since the time of Joshua, the period of the Judges, the time of the Kings, including king David and even through out the 70 years in captivity, vv16-18. A great revelation that had been hidden for hundreds of years! Luke 19:42.
7. Were it not for the right attitude, their knowledge and revelation would have been highly restricted and limited, and their enjoyment of God and His blessings will not be full.
*Q* Do you have the right attitudes above?ð¤
*Lord,* teach me the unconditional right attitude that will always endear me to your heartð
*Lord,* in your mercy, give me the revelation of the secrets I need for my life to be fully fulfillingð
*Lord,* teach me wisdom so that the source of my joy will not be in earthly things but what the Holy Spirit alone can giveð
*Spirit of revelation,* reveal those things that have been hidden from us which will make our lives and worship more acceptable to youð
*HYMN* LORD, SPEAK TO ME, THAT I MAY SPEAK
1. Lord, speak to me, that I may speak
In living echoes of Thy tone;
As Thou hast sought, so let me seek
Thy erring children lost and lone.
2. Oh, lead me, Lord, that I may lead
The wandering and the wavering feet ;
O, feed me, Lord, that I may feed
Thy hungering ones with manna sweet.
3. Oh, fill me with Thy fullness, Lord,
Until my very heart o'erflow
In kindling thought, and glowing word,
Thy love to tell, Thy praise to show.
4. Oh, use me, Lord, use even me,
Just as Thou wilt, and how, and where;
Until Thy blessed face I see,
Thy rest, Thy joy, Thy glory share.